Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Midseason Madness

Just some tidbits about my past weekend interacting in the world of baseball:

  1. In the weekend league, we defeated the preseason favourites by the score of 14-4. I played in left field for five of the seven innings; I never ran so much in my life o_O Thankfully, everything hit to me fell in my glove, and didn't pop out like something out of a Charlie Brown, "gravity is going to get you", cartoon. Hooray for not being a goat for the third weekend in a row ^_^
  2. An old lady with fogged up glasses, a rickety shopping cart, and no sense of direction tried to end my burgeoning baseball softball career by ramming her cart into my left leg. Apparently, she believed it was the duty of everyone else to stop her cart, and that includes a stack of red plastic baskets and my anterior cruciate ligament (I hope I got the spelling right).
  3. I ordered a pair of Kansas City Royals personalized authentic jerseys a month ago. According to their email and Purolator's online service, they delivered the jerseys to my office o_O Do you think my Dad is holding the jerseys as collateral, or secretly losing weight at the office so he can surprise the family with a new look and my new Royals jerseys. I saw old pictures of Dad when he was a college dude back in the 1970s...he can rock the slim ties ^_^
  4. I don't watch/pay attention to the MLB All-Star Game. It really doesn't mean anything: Teams holding back players due to injury or fear of injury, fan voting for one-hit wonders over midseason accomplishments that are made irrelevant by season's end, and the disembodied voice of This Week In Baseball over-sensationalizing every little thing not including the Toronto Blue Jays don't do it for me anymore. There was a time when the All-Star game mattered, but that was before the "fixed" inter-league matchups guaranteeing playoff spots for the Yankees and Red Sox, and the Strike of '94 took place. The last time I remembered an All-Star game with such fondness? 1991; Toronto hosted it. Good times, I think...!
  5. I am now going to spend the next five minutes looking for the Pete Rose play from the 1970 All-Star Game; I'll be right back. (Four minutes later) That took more time to search for on YouTube than I thought o_O Here it is...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment