Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Double Trouble

I played two baseball games today in the weekend league I'm in. I don't want to call it a doubleheader because there was a long enough break in between that two other teams in my league played their game while we rested. However, it feels like I did play a doubleheader.

What baseball game ends in a tie? Who allows baseball games to end in draws? I suppose when you rent a field for the day, and the league schedules games to begin one after the other, extra innings aren't really possible. I was so upset we tied: "I feel like Yale after that game in '68." I said to our team captains. Naturally, they had no idea what I was talking about o_O

Towards the end of our second game, I hit a deep fly to left field that was good enough for a double. I rounded first base, and the lead runner, who stood on first base rounded second. I didn't hit a double all day, and I was looking for to getting into scoring position for our next batter because we were behind at the time. Unfortunately, after rounding first base, I looked up and saw the runner ahead of me CHANGED HIS MIND! (My hand decides to cramp at this moment) Thank goodness for molded plastic cleats, because without them I would slide into center field; I run back to first base, and slide headfirst into the base just eluding the tag. As the umpire calls "time", I sit up and bang both hands on a dirt like a five-year old having a tantrum in Wal-Mart. Three singles later, I score the second run of the inning, and we go on to win the game.

Even now, I shake my head and wonder how the defense didn't tag out either of us in that exchange. I suppose when the season is over, I can bring up that play at the team dinner, and have a heated exchange with my teammate about how he couldn't MAKE UP HIS MIND! Just kidding...

If Anton is reading this, I am sorry for pounding the ground like a little kid. I didn't see the obvious humour of that moment, and perhaps in time I can learn to laugh it off...perhaps.

I notice things like eating out, purchasing a drink from Starbucks, and then shopping at Wal-Mart are more difficult after playing two baseball games in one day. The cashier at the local Starbucks said I looked really tired -_- I felt like one of those adorable anthropomorphic animals from Nintendo's "Animal Crossing" that sleeps while standing upright. If I wasn't in a lineup of people I would totally do that o_O

Well, that's all for me. I'm going to bed -_- Zzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment