Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Classic Post: Treason

I wrote this on April 5th, 2010 for my old blog, but I decided to post it again on H&E. Enjoy!

That is what she called it...treason.

Wearing my Nationals jersey, which I recently acquired with authentic patches and no number on the back, I walked downstairs and headed for the living room. Sure, the shirt was size 40 and too tight for my body, but I was stylin'. My older sister, who returned home from Boston for a visit, spotted me in my Washington Nationals gear and paused. I wore everything: Navy socks, navy jeans, road grey Nationals jersey with "Washington" printed in bold letters, Under Armour Coldgear navy mock underneath, and the authentic navy hat with the white "W" emblazoned on the front.

One word escaped her lips: Treason. The Nationals left the cozy confines of the Olympic Stadium in Montreal, Quebec, several years before, but she remembered the day the Montreal Expos 'deserted' their loyal fans and left for the U.S. capital. Treason: For a Canadian to celebrate the departure of one of Canada's last professional sports franchises, much less an institution and symbol of pride in the province of Quebec, by wearing the clothes of their evil clone was an outrage.

I don't wear my Nationals gear around her anymore, nevertheless I don't find much use in wearing it now, save for my Nationals' hats. I waited my entire life for a baseball team that has the letter "W" for a logo; I'm not going to give that up.

I miss the Expos, though; I really do miss them. ESPN Classic still shows replays of "Blue Monday", which is the moniker for the disastrous defeat to the Dodgers in the decisive playoff in 1981, the closest the club ever got to a World Series. The team, which introduced Gary Carter, Steve Rogers, Andre Dawson, Larry Walker, Pedro Martinez, Larry Johnson, and Vladimir Guerrero to the baseball world, will hold a special place in my heart. I remember when the stars aligned for the Expos in 1994, and how no one in the National League could touch them as "Les Expos" coasted towards a 100-win season and a certain championship berth. However, the strike happened, and those dreams remained unfulfilled...

Perhaps my Yankees fan sister was right, but only if we do not remember and celebrate the history of Canada's first professional baseball team. They were a collection of "not quites" and renegades (see Larry Walker bio), symbolizing the ingenuity and never-say-quit attitude of Canadians, even while no one watched.

Here's to you, Youppi. Keep sliding...!

Youppi says for more on the Expos, go to your local library, Wikipedia, or ask Phil Wood (...What?)

No comments:

Post a Comment